20404: Tortora: Asks for clarification on chimeres

From: Vivian Tortora <vtortora@capecod.net>

I would like some clarification please. The label "Chimeres" seems to have
been used very broadly. I was under the impression that several years agao
"chimeres" had been the label given to criminal street gangs that were
forming in Haiti. I was not aware that they had a political agenda, other
than street crime, such as theft, extortion, etc. Like anywhere else I'm
sure, the choice to choose that way in the world could come as much from
desperation as from greed or vindictiveness.

 I also had heard that some of the problem was caused by deportees picked up
in the United States for similar crimes, drug dealing, etc. who were just
dropped off at the dock, and either jailed in Haiti or left to fend for
themselves, some of them having been in the U.S. since childhood,  and not
even knowing their native language.  Hence, back to a life of crime, and
ready to "educate" the young neighbors in a whole new way of survival.

Recently the term has been broadly used to describe Aristide supporters,
making it sound that anyone who was armed, and ready to fight off invasion
was a chimere. So, my question is who are they, and are you all using the
term too loosely?

I can't really say for sure, but if  I was in one of those neighborhoods,
and I heard on the radio that the leader of a band of armed rebels had
stated that he had people living in my neighborhood, who would remain hidden
until his "troops" had entered the city, and then would rise up to kill
supporters of the government I would pick up a weapon. That is a lot
different than a drug dealing, theiving, intimidating street gang.

Some enlightenment please?
Thanks
Vivian