20412: Medard: Notebook: The Lobbying War for Haiti (TIME; 3-15-04; 11:55 EST) (fwd)

From: A Médard <famfriends@hotmail.com>

                         Notebook: The Lobbying War For Haiti

By Tim Padgett and Kathie Klarreich
Monday, March 15, 2004 Posted: 11:55 AM EST (1655 GMT)

Haiti is the Western Hemisphere's poorest country. But with the departure of
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, it is becoming clear how much money both he
and his chief foe, the Bush Administration, spent not on alleviating that
poverty but on politicking against each other.

Last year alone, they collectively spent more than $2 million ? equivalent to
almost 1% of Haiti's federal budget ? on such efforts. The total funneled into
these causes since the late-1990s exceeds $10 million. "It seems a selfish
waste for both sides to focus their money in this way," says Robert Maguire,
Haiti expert at Trinity College in Washington.

Before Aristide left Haiti last month, his government spent more than $1
million a year on an army of U.S. lawyers and lobbyists. (Nations of similar
population and economic means, like Cambodia, typically spend less than a tenth
as much on Beltway lobbyists.) Many of the recipients of Aristide's funds, like
former California Congressman Ron Dellums, have close ties to the black
congressional caucus, which has accused Bush of engineering a "coup" against
Aristide.

The ousted President's supporters say the largesse was necessary: the Clinton
and Bush Administrations withheld $500 million in aid for Haiti as retribution
for the autocratic practices of Aristide and his left-leaning Lavalas Party,
making lobbying more essential. In the end, says Miami attorney Ira Kurzban,
U.S. general counsel for Aristide's government, "we collected more money [for
Haiti] than [Aristide] paid us."

The Bush Administration, for its part, disbursed more than $1 million last year
to groups like the International Republican Institute (I.R.I.), ostensibly to
promote democracy in Haiti.

Critics say that was simply aid to Aristide's opponents. Spokesman Thayer Scott
concedes that the I.R.I.'s work "had a political party ? building component"
but insists that "it created positive democratic space." If Washington really
hopes to rebuild Haiti, Maguire points out, the space it should first focus on
is the country's squalid streets.

Copyright © 2004 Time Inc.