20458: (Arthur) Quote of the week (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

The Bush Administration, for its part, disbursed more than $1 million last
year to groups like the International Republican Institute (I.R.I.), ostensibly
to promote democracy in Haiti. Critics say that was simply aid to Aristide's
opponents. Spokesman Thayer Scott concedes that the I.R.I.'s work "had a
political party-building component" but insists that "it created positive democratic
space."