20522: [Daily-briefing] Daily Press Briefing (March 17, 2004) (fwd)

From: maxblanchet@att.net

                         Daily Press Briefing
                          Statements made by
             the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson
                             (excerpts)

                        (Paris, March 17, 2004)
     [Please note that only the original French text issued by the
     French Ministry of Foreign Affairs may be considered official.
                  ( http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr )]

HAITI
=====

Q - The prime minister of Jamaica has announced he doesn’t recognize the
Haitian provisional government and he suggested President Aristide had
been forced to resign.  Does this position undermine France’s efforts to
support the new Haitian government?

We’ve no particular comment. As you know, the international community is
acting in the framework of Security Council resolution 1529, unanimously
adopted, which provides support for the process under way.  It is in that
context that France will speak.

I would like to recall what the minister wrote in an article that appeared
this morning: “Haiti needs our help and support. (...)  Faced with this
crisis, we have a duty of solidarity.  And that is the reason France is
mobilizing.”

I would also remind you that the UN secretary-general has called for the
long-term mobilization of the attention and resources of the international
community.