20513: Esser: Constitutionality in Haiti (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

In Article 149 of the Haitian Constitution it says, according to a
translation that I cannot vouch for since I have misplaced my own
copy, that "Should the office of the President of the Republic become
vacant for any reason...The election of a new President for a new
five (5) year term shall be held at least forty-five (45) and no more
than ninety (90) days after the vacancy occurs, pursuant to the
Constitution and the Electoral Law." That would mean that the de
facto government's statements about holding elections within two
years are plainly illegal. Does anyone with a greater understanding
of Haitian law have more information on this? If, Aristide is not the
duly elected President, as the U.S. sponsored government claims, is
the new executive not bound by the frame work of the Haitian
constitution?