20546: Jepiem: Vodou in Haiti:questions (fwd)

From: Jepiem@aol.com

I understand that the Immigration office in Haiti requires a certificate of
baptism in order to deliver a passport to any haitian citizen wishing to
travel. I have even been told that hougans  have also been delivering certificates
of baptism. I realize that considering the high rate of illiteracy in Haiti and
the way things are usually done, many native borns, particularly in the far
remote countryside may end up never having an official and verifiable
certificate of birth, so that a certificate of baptism can become some kind of semi
official proof of birth in the country. Now my questions: If someone has never
been baptised how does he/she get aroung this problem? Is it true that houngans
deliver certificates of baptism? Is there  such a thing as baptism in vodou?
If so is it a strictly haitian vodou sacrament and how long has it existed?
Since vodou has been officially recognized as a religion, is there a new ceremony
of marriage in vodou in Haiti besides the marriage with a loa? Considering
the change in direction in the country at this time, what will become of
Aristide's edict that vodou was to be granted officialdom in Haiti? Can someone shed
some light?

Math Jay