20537: Simidor: Titid contradicts himself (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

The more Titid talks, the more his “kidnapping” story unravels like the farce that it is.

Some elements of that story are independently known, i.e. confirmed by sources other than Aristide or the State Department.  It would appear that around 11 o’clock, the night of February 28-29, a US national (familiar to this list) employed by the Aristide regime contacted US ambassador James Foley, with a pathetic list of questions from the president – “Will there really be a massacre?  Who will save poor me?” etc.

Shortly thereafter, Foley appears with a Marine guard at Yvon Neptune’s office for a rather long if impromptu meeting.  A somber Neptune emerged from his office afterward and told his cronies, “bagay yo grav.”  Next, Aristide calls Neptune for an emergency meeting at his Tabarre residence.  Neptune arrives by 1 a.m. and joins others from the inner circle in a waiting room.  Aristide finally appears around 3 a.m. and announces he’s leaving.

The parties involved also agree that Luis Moreno, in whatever capacity, arrived at Tabarre around 5 a.m.  And now the comedy begins.

Peter Eisner writes in the Washington Post (03-16-2004): “Aristide said Foley agreed that he should go with an American escort to a location where he could appear on television to appeal for calm.   ‘I wanted to talk to the press, as I did the night before for more than one hour and a half talking to the people through the national TV,’ Aristide said. ‘This was my responsibility. And I could do it again and again each time as was necessary.’”

First observation:  Aristide felt the need for an “American escort.”  The “considerable number” of “American military and maybe other militaries from other countries” that he observed, was to be his escort.  No Haitian need apply.

Back to Eisner’s story: “Aristide said he left in a car with the Americans, who said they could provide security. ‘But instead of moving from where we were at my house’ to meet with news media, Aristide said, ‘we went straight to the plane,’ which he described as an unmarked white aircraft with an American flag.”

Second observation: on his way to an interview Aristide, by his own account, is kidnapped and taken straight to the airport.  By what coincidence does he happen to have his bags fully packed with him, unless he was expected to be on a trip immediately afterward?  Also why did Aristide write a resignation letter even with the conditional “if,” and why did he hand it over to Moreno at the airport, unless he was in agreement to resign?

It is a charade, not a farce after all.  The president is kidnapped by his own trusted escort.  Although he’s taken to the airport by deception, he arrives there with his belongings fully  packed.  His letter of resignation, neatly signed, is in his wife’s bag.  His mercenary guards AND their families are also at the rendezvous, also fully packed.

A little common sense, gentle reader.  Maybe a press conference had been promised to Mr. Aristide who evidently hoped that once he was in front of the cameras he would flip the script on Uncle Sam.  But agent Moreno defeated him at his own game and took him to the airport instead?  The bottom line here is that Titid knew and had agreed he was leaving.  His suitcases and his resignation letter speak louder than his own denials.

Daniel Simidor