20585: Esser: Canada provides $ 1 million for democratic institutions in Haiti (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Department of Foreign Affairs Canada
Press Release

CANADA PROVIDES $1 MILLION FOR DEMOCRATIC INSTITUTIONS IN HAITI

March 18, 2004
No. 43

Denis Coderre, President of the Queen's Privy Council and Minister
responsible for La Francophonie, and Aileen Carroll, Minister for
International Cooperation, today announced that Canada is committing
$1 million to the International Organisation of La Francophonie (OIF)
for the creation of a special fund for Haiti. This fund will be used
to finance initiatives to restore and maintain Haiti's democratic
institutions.

"Canada is pleased to support the OIF's efforts to rebuild democracy
in Haiti, and we encourage other governments of La Francophonie to
contribute also," said Minister Coderre. "By helping to resuscitate
and further develop Haiti's fundamental democratic institutions, this
commitment is an important part of Canada's comprehensive approach to
assisting Haiti to overcome its political and economic challenges.
Canada is happy to see that the OIF is engaged in these international
efforts."

"Building capacity in governance, democracy and security takes time
and a long-term commitment," said Minister Carroll. "We must continue
to strengthen our partnerships with all partners in Haiti, in Canada
and internationally and persevere in our efforts to see Haiti well on
the road to sustainable development."

This contribution will be delivered through the Canadian
International Development Agency (CIDA). Since the current crisis
began, Canada, through CIDA, has contributed a total of close to $13
million to the people of Haiti, including $1.95 million in
humanitarian assistance and food aid; $5 million in support of United
Nations humanitarian assistance, transition and reconstruction
efforts; and a $5-million pledge to the Special Mission of the
Organization of American States in Haiti. In addition, Canada is
deploying Canadian Forces personnel and equipment as part of the UN
Multinational Interim Force to assist in bringing stability to the
country.

Abdou Diouf, OIF Secretary-General, is in Montreal to take part in
official celebrations for the Journée internationale de la
Francophonie, hosted by Canada.

Funding for these initiatives was provided for in the February 2003
federal budget and is therefore built into the existing fiscal
framework.

For further information, media representatives may contact:

Sarah Bain
Office of the Minister responsible for La Francophonie
(613) 943-1838

Media Relations Office
Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
(613) 995-1874
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca

Andrew Graham
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister for International Cooperation
(819) 953-3160

Media Relations Office
Canadian International Development Agency
(819) 953-6534
info@acdi-cida.gc.ca
.