20668: Walton: RE: 20653: Esser: Washington and Paris overthrow Aristide (fwd)

From: "Walton, Robert" <robert.walton3@us.army.mil>

Mr. Esser writes well but allow me to disagree with his position.

I believe that it did not serve "US interests" to "kidnap" Mr. Aristide and
that his removal was a humane gesture.  Had he been left in PAP on 29
February, he would not now be complaining-- about anything.

IMHO, the US viewed him (and continues to view him) as an albatross around
Haiti's neck and was under no obligation to support him and may have erred
by removing him.  He is now a living martyr of those formerly receiving
paychecks and other largess from the Haitian treasury whose presence
continues, as before, to impede Haitian progress.

While I do not think Mr. Aristide was corrupt, IMHO he failed to provide a
government that responded to the needs of the Haitian people; grew to love
power at the expense of the public good and was ineffective in controlling
corrupt forces within his party.

I believe this was a Haitian revolution.  To believe otherwise, I would have
to accept that a few hundred rebels could overthrow a leader cherished by a
majority of his people.  It remains to be seen how the hand of PM Latortue
will play out.  To form a respectable government, he must cull out the thugs
from the forces which brought him to power.  His ultimate success or failure
will be measured by how well his government provides for the great mass of
Haitian people, not just the "elect."

Bob