20801: Lyall: guns of arme du nord (fwd)

From: j.david lyall <j.david@lyalls.net>

Since I've gotten back on the list after a three week hiatus in haiti
cherie I've read many of our political guardians tell us that the
arme du nord (what they are called in hayti) or 'insurgents' or
'thugs' are using M-16's supplied by someone.

Well, I have to question our informants. I saw the ancien militaire
on duty in Thomassin and Kenscoff and they were not carrying M-16's
(the haitian police weapon) or M-1's (the attache lavalas weapon from
the basement of the palace).

I am not a gun nut, never had a gun (altho I was a good shot as a
teenager) but these were something else. Maybe a FAL or Galil,
something from the Belgian gun marts. I am sure that you can buy
anything you want in the DR. ITs like florida over in santo domingo,
gun shops everywhere.
A few hundred rifles is well within the budget of a low level cocaine smuggler.
A few hundred men is all it took to bring the arme du nord to Morne
Cabrit overlooking Tabarre, actually.

So, no great conspiracy was necessary to equip the ancien militaire,
defected police and turned cannibal army to take half the country.

So, please stop saying that the thugs/arme du nord/cannibal army were
using M-16's. Many thousands of M-16's disappeared from police posts
all over the place on Feb 29 tho. I know that. I saw some of them.

Oh, the cannibal army had M-1's too, from the palais nationale. Seen em.

--
J.David Lyall, or
     Jedidiah Daudi