20953: Mason Re 20946 Vishnusurf: Re Haiti's Spiritual & Social Needs (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

An earlier poster wrote:

"I began by sharing the concept that Haiti has two problems, spiritual and
social. You cannot fix one without the other. We cannot talk about the social
problem until we are ready to deal with the spiritual, just like a farmer cannot
plant good seed in soil until the soil has been prepared."

Vishnusurf (VISHNUSURF@aol.com) replied:

"How terribly self-righteous and condescending is this claim !  So, if
Haitians convert to an white version of Protestant religion, then Haiti will arise ?
In other words, Haiti's African-derived religious culture ... should be
changed to a Protestant religious culture brought by foreign missionaries. And then
things will get better, right?  This is a very offensive position."

I join Vishnusurf in his indignation!

I find just as much affrontery to the Haitian People in the official stance /
goal of Youth With a Mission (YWAM), whose St. Marc ministry is led by Terry
Snow (other posters have remarked recently upon this work).

A week or so past, I started a thread on Windows on Haiti's Ann Pale Forum,
entitled "Who Is Terry Snow?" (
http://haitiforever.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865 ).

It starts with these words:

"Just WHO IS this Terry Snow?

Just WHAT IS this YWAM, the U.S. Fundamentalist Protestant missionary
organization which he serves?

WHY IS Terry Snow so extensively quoted by the mainstream international media
(pre-Aristide-forced-removal, especially regarding the "Clean Sweep Gang" in
an appeal for international intervention)???"

Within this post you will see the fruits of some of the research I have done
in an attempt to answer some of those questions and perhaps raise even more in
the process.

To whet your appetite, here is just one Terry Snow YWAM Prayer Letter quote,
included within this post:

"I heard news from the north that there was some very significant voodoo
trees, that were located in the same area where the orginal sacrifice was made by
Boukman, that have just recently be blown down. They have been uprooted and
they are saying there is a strong s[e]n[s]e that this is prophetic in what is
happening right now in the spiritual aspects of the nation. We are being
directed by God to root out the things that are ungodly in this nation through
repentance of sins that have happened since the foundations of this nation and
continue to be seen today by this generation."

The scary thing about this quote is that Terry Snow and many other
missionaries actually believe they are on such a divine mission to save Haiti.

Having an American White Missionary past myself (see:
http://hometown.aol.com/marilinc/MM-Crisci.htm ), I find this propaganda an affront to me and my
different set of motives, as well as to all Haitians!

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
P.O. Box 181015
Boston, Massachusetts 02118 USA