20997: (Chamberlain) Trade bill for Haiti introduced (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

WASHINGTON, March 31 (UPI) -- Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, introduced a bill
in the U.S. Senate Wednesday promoting trade with Haiti to help stabilize
that troubled country.

The Haiti Economic Recovery Opportunity Act would use trade incentives to
encourage the post-Aristide government to make much need reforms, while
encouraging direct foreign investment.

"Haiti is the poorest country in our Hemisphere, lacking both democracy and
political stability," DeWine said. "The events of the last few months have
drawn needed attention to Haiti and this is our opportunity to do something
about it.

The bill would amend the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act by granting
duty-free status to apparel from Haiti.

Haitian apparel accounts for less than half of 1 percent of all U.S.
apparel imports, and the bill would cap the duty-free imports, growing over
time to 3.5 percent.