21046: Kathleen: Re: 21033: O'Brien RE: 21010: Corbett: Bob Corbett review of Edwidge Danticat: THE DEWBREAKER (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Yes, Martha, I ache for those people too, I love them too, and miss them.  I
did receive a communication from one peasant leader yesterday, which was
cheery, but I don't know if it came from Papay or Port.  Also, last week
during a conversation with another friend in New York, he was interrupted by
a cell phone call (his cell phone) from a peasant in Papay. that he could
even make that call filled me with hope.
    How many of the "knowledgeable" lengthy commentators on this list have
friends like ours, care as we do how they felt about life under Aristide,
how they felt when they lost their tiny savings to the cooperatives, how
they feel because Teleco doesn't work for them?  When they are treated as
less than human by the central government because they are not city
dwellers?
kathleen burke