21073: Ayiti Libere: Let Aristide serve his term in Haiti by Joel Deeb (fwd)

From: Ayiti Libere <ayitilibere@yahoo.com>

Let Aristide serve his term in Haiti

Web Posted - Thu Apr 01 2004

In 1991 I was incarcerated by the Aristide government
along with my wife Paula for three months on the
pretext that they had found weapons in our container
that came from Miami Florida since we were moving back
to Haiti. It was all a lie and for no reason because
President Aristide said he was afraid since I was
involved against the Duvalier regime, that one day I
could turn against him also.
Still, it was the first time in a long time that a
president was elected freely and democratically in
Haiti. I feel and I still believe that it was wrong to
overthrow Aristide since he had agreed to share the
power with the opposition and I believe he should
still be permitted to serve his term with a new Prime
Minister, and also the involvement of the opposition
and the civil society.

By removing him , we have ruptured the beginning of a
fragile democracy that Haiti needed to promote.

Now we have shown the country and the people of Haiti
that it was all lies , that the OEA, the US and the
world would not tolerate any coup d’etat in the
Caribbean any more. We have seen a coup orchestrated
by the US and the French government for their own
benefit.

The removal of Aristide was something personal between
Bush and Chirac against the Haitian President.

The opposition are the ones who did not want to
negotiate, why should they be rewarded by the United
States and the French and not punished for it.

I sincerely believe in democracy. I also believe that
Aristide should be permitted to serve out his term. I
believe that democracy should be imposed by returning
Aristide to Haiti to see the end of his term.

Joel Deeb

Source:

http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/NewViewNewsleft.cfm?Record=17102