21130: Esser: Re: 21115: Laleau: Re: 21099: (Chamberlain) Powell-Haiti (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

You speak of the money found in a safe in Tabarre. While this smells
like a media opportunity set up to discredit Aristide, it's rotten
money and who knows who put it there, let's believe it is true for a
moment, shall we. The media reports, I have one article in front of
me, speak of a stack of bills "five equal-sized stacks of the bills,
each measuring about 3 inches thick" and then the estimate, without
mentioning who guessed it and how, comes out to "could amount to as
much as $350,000". Of course we do not know who put it in the
residence and when and then by all accounts it's not a substantial
sum. But the newspaper articles nonetheless managed what they
attempted to do: to cast doubts on Jean-Bertrand Aristide and divert
attention. The journalistic method in reporting this was entirely non
professional. Allegedly four safes were found behind a basement wall.
One containing the said rotten bills and one other "contained
documents and newspapers" somehow the journalist doesn't tell us
anything about the contents of this safe, which presumably could have
helped to put a date on when the money might have been deposited and
by whom.

Now on to the millions in bank accounts in the U.S. and abroad "we
hear about". Sorry I haven't heard about it. Could you disclose the
sources of this information? Is it perhaps another rumor serving to
discredit a democratically elected leader that failed to get with the
program as put forth by Washington and the converging interests of
the Haitian economic elite? If those stories were true and could be
verified, you would hear the media trumpet the details 24/24. The
fact is, that even though if someone misappropriated funds, the
reason that Haiti is in the financial and economic state it is in
right now, can hardly be connected to millions missing, real or
imagined, from state coffers. If that were true then the millions the
U.S. Secretary of State promises his puppet government would propel
Haiti into a life of unimagined prosperity. I hope nobody is holding
their breath. It is also very ironic to say the least, that a
government that converts a brand new medical facility into military
barracks, pretends to be acting in the interest of the Haitian
people. In the long history of antagonism between Haiti and the U.S.,
what has the U.S. done that turned out to be in favor of the Haitian
masses?
.