21334: Morrell: Haiti Democracy Project and Group of 184

I am grateful again to D. Esser, who is becoming one of the Haiti
Democracy
Project's prime boosters. In his last post he gave us credit (a
mini-thinktank
in Washington) for setting up the Group of 184, a major movement that
transformed the politics of a foreign country. By chance we were visiting
the
Group of 184 today and we all had a good laugh over that one.

We would love to take credit for setting up the Group of 184. I am sorely
tempted to do so, relying on D. Esser's authority, but given the utter
lack of
factual basis (a persisting problem with D. Esser) I guess I cannot.

I stand by my remarks at the Inter-American Dialogue. There is a
legitimate
worry that if the Latortue administration stumbles, we could end up with
something far worse.  That does not mean a blank check for the Latortue
administration, far from it.