21423: Barnden: Re: 21391: (Chamberlain) Reviving tourism in Jacmel (fwd)

From: christine barnden <aussie_grimel@adam.com.au>

I'm currently reading two books which feature Jacmel.  Edwidge Danticat's
"After the Dance" (published 2002 - describes Jacmel at time of Carnaval in
2001) and another much older book called "Where Black Rules White" (second
edition published 1910) by author H. Hesketh Prichard (of Prae Wood, St
Albans - in England I think). The first date he mentions is 22 Nov, 1899.
It's amazing to think of fording Grande Riviere 81 times within 2 hours on
the way from Jacmel to Port-au-Prince!  How things have changed.  Yay!  He
decided to visit Hayti (as he spells it at that time)  "...in the hope of
seeing with my own eyes those hidden things which the negroes had
accomplished in their hundred years of opportunity..."  I've only just got
to chapter 2 but am looking forward to his discoveries.
I have borrowed this book from a colleague at work (here in Australia).  Her
aunt had somehow gotten a copy of it, and kept a number of news articles
about Haiti (including Baby Doc wedding articles), because family members
had gone to live in Haiti. I don't know how long ago but she had written
some notes in the back of the book referring to their family name 'des
Moulins' who fled from France when other family members where beheaded.
They had daughters there and eventually died in Haiti.  does anyone know of
'des Moulins' still living in Haiti?
If anyone has access to a copy of this book "Where Black Rules White"
(author H. Hesketh Prichard) I wouldn't mind getting a copy of my own.

Christine