21550: Hess: witness -- last post on this issue

[Corbett prefaces:  Folks, this issue is no longer about Haiti.  It's a
general semantic discussion, and this is the very last post I will post
that has ANYTHING to do with the definition of witness.]

From: DougRHess@aol.com

Please note that "eyewitness" and witness are different words. If somebody
can provide the actual sentences is question again it might be easier to deal
with this. But to answer the question somebody just asked, yes the word witness
can be used to mean "to have knowledge of," although I believe it is fair to
say that most people use the word, at least in the US, to mean "eyewitness." In
other words, "certify" is a legitimate way to use the word witness, but most
people see witness as synonymous with "observer," "bystander", etc.

As a transitive verb, witness can be used as:
1) to testify
2) serve as legal witness
3) to provide proof
4) a : to have personal or direct cognizance of: see for oneself <witnessed
the event>
    b : to take note <witness how silly this discussion is>
5) to define a period <this region onced witnessed prosperity>

As an intransitive verb:
1) to bear witness, testify
2) to affirm (or act on) one's religious convictions