21684: Vishnusurf: Re: 21674: Ives: Re: 21654: Vishnusurf: Re: 21633:

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

here is what i said, mr. ives:

------------
"Haiti Progres attempts in this article to smear the CEDH and jean-claude
bajeux, without so much as quoting the organization or demonstrating what
in fact makes it "pro-coup", a term which begs the question, was it really
a coup? granted, there is reason for concern that chambain's new
trial could indeed be superficial (just as there is reason for concern
that any trial in haiti might not be soundly conducted), but who can
really be disappointed that he is in custody? I resent HP's insinuation
that bajeux is a chamblain supporter. bajeux is, on the contrary, a
longstanding defender of human rights in haiti and is way above such
slanderous reproach. lest i be misunderstood as being "pro-coup" i end by
stating that chamblain should certainly rot in prison."

=================

My argument, which you are reading way too much into in a rather knee-jerk
reaction, was quite simply that HP did not quote either Bajeux or CEDH
when it slandered them, and I stand by my claim that such a move is
deplorable. I also stand by my claim that Bajeux is a longstanding
defender of human rights in haiti, who once staunchly supported aristide,
in fact.

Whether I stand by his "formulations" or not is not at issue, quite
frankly; nor is whether I agree with all of his positions. I never
intended such an analysis in my original post, nor do I intend to embark
upon one here; who would care what I think anyway? Unlike many regulars on
this list, I prefer listening to what Haitians have to say, and not people
like us.

Finally, the question remains as to whether there has truly been
a coup has taken place in haiti?