21711: (Chamberlain) US-Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   WASHINGTON, May 5 (AP) -- Secretary of State Colin Powell met Wednesday
with Haitian Prime Minister Gerard Latortue and praised him for bringing
stability to Caribbean nation following the upheaval of two months ago.
   "Now we are in the process of rebuilding," Powell said, with Latortue at
his side.
   "Haiti is in great need of financial support, other kinds of support,"
Powell said.
   He noted that the United States is working on recruiting U.N.
peacekeepers for duty in Haiti once the U.S.-led multinational force leaves
the country next month.
   Last Friday, the U.N. Security Council unanimously authorized a force of
8,000 to be deployed in Haiti. They will range from police to human rights
experts.
   The Bush administration has not asked Congress for a Haiti assistance
package. Powell said he is attempting to redirect money to Haiti that
already has been earmarked for other countries.
   Latortue said the February upheaval that led to the departure of
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide almost destroyed Haiti's economic
infrastructure.
   "We are trying to rebuild confidence into the country, we are trying to
bring good economic governance, and we are trying also to bring democracy,"
he said.
   He added that an elected government will be installed in Haiti on Feb.
7, 2006.
   After meeting with Powell, Latortue went to Capitol Hill for a
discussion with the Congressional Black Caucus.
   Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., a caucus member who still considers
Aristide to be Haiti's legitimate leader, led an effort for a boycott of
the meeting.
   She said in an interview that 23 caucus members did so. Efforts to reach
a caucus spokeswoman for confirmation were not immediately successful.
   Waters said she considers the Latortue government to be illegitimate.
Beyond that, she said, Latortue discredited himself by embracing
anti-Aristide "killers" who remain in control of large areas of northern
Haiti. She said he praised them as freedom fighters.
   The administration maintains Aristide resigned voluntarily and that the
succession to President Boniface Alexandre was in accordance with the
constitution.