21751: Power: Re: 21707: Manning: RE: 21683: (Chamberlain) Danger Island (fwd)

From: Mike Power <mpphaiti@fastmail.fm>

> From: VenusKarly Manning <venuskarly@hotmail.com>
> > Why does Haiti continue to get labeled by the press as the scariest place
> in  the world or danger island?   There are worse places on earth.

I agree with this comment, and others made on- and off-list. I would like
to say here that I think it is unfair and inaccurate. The
subtitle/headline was written by a sub-editor at the magazine. I did not
see it, or approve it.

Sadly, the format of mass-market journalism needs attention-grabbing
headlines and introductions. Subtlety is not their aim. I was personally
just grateful to be able to document the events of February in a public
forum – British newsstand magazines –  that normally ignores events
there. And the dearth of Haiti coverage here was matched by its
ignorance; I hope not to have contributed to that.

Mike Power