21815: Simidor re: 21805: Craft: Arrest of So Ann (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

Sò Ann was arrested in the middle of the night?  Well, well, maybe the Haitian National Police feared that with a warning she would, like any able mambo, use her “pwen disparèt” to melt into the background?

Some Lavalas incorrigibles are complaining there was no mandate for her arrest.  But of course there was one: people had been clamoring for weeks for Sò Ann to be brought to justice.  It is to Mr. Gousse’s credit that he held back this long.  Some silly  goose (no minister of mine) will be clamoring next for her release, supposedly because the law says she must be brought in front of her natural judges within 48 hours.  As if Lavalas ever bothered with such niceties.

The author of this note knows and worked with Sò Ann for several years in Brooklyn, and has had many reasons to admire her activism and her personal talent with the folk song.  I also know her talent in surrounding herself with all kinds of opportunists and shady elements. The public outcry in P.au.P is that she was the intermediate between Aristide and various gangs in Belair, Delmas and Cité Soleil.  Let there be a fair trial, and if she is vindicated, I’ll be the first one to applaud. OK, I’ll send flowers....

Daniel Simidor