21997: (Hermantin)Sun-Sentinel-Anthem raises hope on Haitian Flag Day (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Anthem raises hope on Haitian Flag Day

By Rafael A. Olmeda
Staff Writer

May 19, 2004

As she stepped up to sing the Haitian National Anthem on Tuesday night
before an audience of more than 150 people, Yonie Marcel couldn't help
thinking of the city and the country she left behind just three months ago.

"Pour le pays, pour les ancêtres, marchons unis, marchons unis," she sang.
"For our country, for our forefathers, united we march, united we march."

The country, and those who left it, celebrated Haitian Flag Day on Tuesday,
and as the nation struggles to recover from political and social turmoil,
the day served to remind Haitians living in South Florida of the successes
of the past 200 years. It also reminded them of the challenge of the
immediate future.

"The only way Haiti will survive is if our people unite," said Marcel, 33,
who left Port-au-Prince in February and now lives in Miramar. "Haitians
living in Haiti and those of us living abroad need to work together to
rebuild the country."

Marcel was one of the performers at the Flag Day celebration at the Miniaci
Performing Arts Center at Nova Southeastern University in Davie. The crowd
eventually grew to nearly 300 as the event's host organization, Minority
Development & Empowerment Inc., marked the occasion with songs, dances and
awards.

"One has to understand why Flag Day is so important," said Broward County
Commissioner Josephus Eggelletion, whose great-grandmother came to the
United States from Jacmel, Haiti, nearly 70 years ago. "Haitian independence
in 1804 fueled the slave revolts in the United States."

The Miami Police Department also scheduled a commemoration for late Thursday
morning.

Miami Police Officer Paule Villard said the flag was an important rallying
point for Haitians.

"It's a day of pride. You feel like you have something that is yours,
something no one can take from you," said Villard, who came to the United
States U.S. 21 years ago.

Rafael Olmeda can be reached at rolmeda@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4207.