22605: Bob Corbett reflects on Hugh Cave's Haiti writings

>From Bob Corbett

Folks, I was asked by a newspaper to write something on Hugh Cave's Haiti
works.  He was mainly known as a horror story writer.  I wrote several
versions of this, but each one was much much too long for what the
newpaper wanted and I kept cutting and cutting until I was left with what
is below.  Even this may well be cut some more before the editor posts it.

They also wanted a photo, and in searching for one I found that Hugh had
given me a huge pile of stunning photos of Haiti in the early 1950s.  I
hope to start scanning some of these to my web page in the coming months.

But, I did want to share this note with you.

Bob Corbett

=============================

Hugh Cave was best known in recent years for his horror and science
fiction novels and stories.  I knew him exclusively as a writer on Haiti.
We met him in 1984 after I read his non-fiction guide book:  HAITI: HIGH
ROAD TO ADVENTURE.  I made contact with Hugh and we carried on a vibrant
correspondence lasting until quite near his death.

A bibliography of Cave's writings on Haiti which Hugh and I believed to be
complete to 2002 may be found at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/literature/cavebib.htm

We worked on this bibliography together for a couple of years, and when I
couldn't locate a copy of the novel THE DRUMS OF REVOLT (London:  Robert
Hale, 1957), he sent me his only extra copy.  I treasure that book more
than any other I own.

Haitian Voodoo religion figured in many of Cave's Haitian novels and
stories, but unlike many foreign writers, he wrote with a genuine
knowledge of Voodoo as a religion, and with respect for it.  In THE CROSS
ON THE DRUM (1959) an American Protestant missionary meets a Haitian
houngan (Voodoo priest) and they work hard at understanding each other's
religion, and the white missionary even falls in love with the houngan's
black sister, heady stuff for 1959 pop American fiction.  The novel was
far and away his best selling Haitian work, selected both as a Doubleday
Dollar Book Club and the Literary Guild Bonus Book for 1959.

The short story he was most proud of was "The Mission" first published in
Saturday Evening Post in 1959.  A number of years ago he gave me
permission to post that story to my web page and it may be read at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/misctopic/texts/mission.htm

Hugh Cave lived to the glorious age of 93 and was writing until very
recently.  He was extremely proud that he continued to write, and was
planning to bring out a new novel on Haiti in 2004, but I haven't heard
whether that is in process or not.

I will miss him very much, but I have the comfort of his works on my
shelves and will continue to read and enjoy his contribution of bringing
Haiti to the attention of the outside world.