22873: Kathleen: AP article on clearing out merchants from the streets in Port au Prince

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

The trouble is we don't know the bias of the writer.
Aristide's government let the bidonvilles spring up everywhere - he
wouldn't
say "no" to the people.  Another Fonds Verrettes is building (or
unbuilding) in
Petionville.
Likewise the street merchants - as of 2002, no one could walk on
sidewalks,
streets very hazardous, garbage everywhere - and reportedly, it is worse
now.
There's no hope for licensing vendors or collecting fair taxes with a
corrupt
government.  Since 2000 in Cap Haitien and Port, garbage was/is a
political
weapon - one side would collect to dump on the others' territory.
People are even more polarized than they are here.  Any move gets its
spin.
I saw businesses built, young people working, taking pride in their work,
all
destroyed because it was "the opposition party."
Like I say, I don't know the bias of this particular writer.  I do know
what I
experienced in Haiti, and it was unbearable under Aristide.  Things that
were
building with promise in 99 were ruined by 02.
That's what caused his downfall.  Gimme a break - 200 rebels able to
overthrow
a "popular" leader?  Not possible. All the talk about IRI and CIA is just
that
- talk.  The people welcomed relief from journalists being killed,
millions
spent on palace projects, people poorer than ever.
I don't see the end of this.  k