22985: Allouard: Re: 22946: Esser: Cruising Into History Changes Course (fwd)

From: Allouard <allouard@libertysurf.fr>

QUOTE:  "August 11, 2004
Cruising Into History Changes Course

To guard against any impression that we endorse this administration and
its practices, we have decided to confine our commemorative activities to
the grounds at Labadee, which does not require any logistical support,
security, assistance or participation from this regime.  Though this will
come as
a disappointment to many who had hoped to visit historic sites in Cap
Haitien and to visit the Sans Souci Palace and the Citadel near Milot, in
the
end, we are confident that as people of conscience and concern, our group
will realize, that in the name of celebrating the bicentennial of Haiti's
independence, we do not want to do anything that may be interpreted as
undermining democracy and the welfare of the masses of the Haitian
people."    UNQUOTE

I can't help seeing this logic as puritan, (their hands are clean, but they
have no hands) and it does not take into account the benefit of ordinary
Haitian citizens, nor their general concern or immediate interests.

Besides, it seems partly tainted of self-righteousness and condescending
attitude...

At least, it shows that this institution is more concerned about its image
than about benefit and interests of people having booked their trip... (is
it sure than going to the beach, even beautiful Labadi, is what someone
interested in Haiti, Haitian roots, Haitian history, and Haitian people? One
week in a all-inclusive ressort could be then better than visiting museums,
churches, ruins, and speaking to ordinary citizens outside the fence...) And
one would perhaps believe organizers are more concerned about their image
than about Haitian people actual benefit...

Questions:

1/ Should artisans and tourists businesses workers be denied the opportunity
to make a living because righteous "blan" place above all their perception
of Haitian politics (or conduct in Haiti their own agenda?)...

2/ More important than that: why should Haitian people be denied this
opportunity to be proud of their country, of their history... this
opportunity to show than there is a life in Haiti despite, before, behind
and above what media coverage can be in the  United States?

3/ Why people having booked for this cruise should be denied the right to
actually meet Haitian people as they are HERE and NOW ? Or are the few
sellers allowed in Labadi perfectly representative of Haitian people? Who
could believe this?

Eventually, not this important but nevertheless a question that rings in my
poor head:
I heard several people in December argue than it was not a matter of what
Lavalas did or was doing, nor of flawed or not this flawed elections:
January the 1st 2004 was a celebration of Haitian people history and victory
and a symbol more important than contingent politics... that, therefore,
diplomats and any people interested in Haiti should attend the celebrations
notwithstanding what they thought about Aristide/Lavalas/Elections/etc. This
idea was positive... one could agree or not, but it was a very interesting
one.

I would be sadly disappointed (but not surprised as I am already fearing it
is partly the case), that the very same people canceling Laferriere and Cap
and else pilgrimage did use above mentioned theory... If, -- IF -- so, why
this change? Why suddenly putting politics above Haitian history, Haitian
People legitimate right to be proud of himself?  Why not to show yourself
faithful to your word and your ideal? Or was it that a/m idea was just
political rhetoric?

Best regards to all...

Philippe