23410: Marina: Violence in Haiti - State Department, 2004-10-12 (fwd)

From: Marina <marinawus@yahoo.com>

Press Statement
Richard Boucher, Spokesman
Washington, DC
October 12, 2004

Violence in Haiti

The United States condemns the violence in
Port-au-Prince, Haiti that began on September 30.
Armed gangs and groups who support former President
Jean-Bertrand
Aristide have launched a systematic campaign to
destabilize the interim government and disrupt the
efforts of the international community to assist the
Haitian people. Over the past two weeks, pro-Aristide
thugs have murdered policemen, looted businesses and
public installations, and terrorized civilians. On
October 11, pro-Aristide gunman killed three people in
random attacks; there are reports that one parent was
killed while walking his child to school. These
attacks recall the worst days of Mr. Aristide's rule,
which was characterized by the criminal use of street
gangs to spread violence and political repression.

It is all the more reprehensible that the pro-Aristide
forces have launched their campaign of violence at a
moment when the people of Haiti are still suffering
from the catastrophic flooding in Gonaives, which
claimed over 2,000 lives. We call upon leaders of
Fanmi Lavalas to break with the party's legacy of
violence and criminality that tarnished its image
during the rule of Mr. Aristide, and to participate
peacefully in the electoral process.

The Interim Government of Haiti led by President
Alexandre and Prime Minister Latortue represents the
best hope for progress in Haiti. The United States
Government will continue to assist the rebuilding and
reform of the Haitian National Police. We have
confidence that the United Nations Stabilization
Force's, MINUSTAH, capacity to protect the Haitian
people will continue to increase in the days and weeks
to come.