23718: (list procedures announcement) Corbett

Folks,

For the month of November I will continue to work on the subject lines
when the poster doesn't.

However, beginning on December 1, 2004 I will no longer post items that do
not have a subject line in the following form.

1. (in parentheses) the nature of the post.  Key terms
	(pub) for things printed in ink on paper -- newspapers, books,
		articles, etc.
	(net) for items published elsewhere on the internet
	(discuss) item written by the poster and introducing a new
		topic or opinion
	(reply)  in reply to another post -- list which one
	(ask)  asking a question to the list
	(announce)  making an announcement
	(other -- fill in)

2.  either your name or e-mail login name

3.  some few words describing the post

===============

I will add the number at the beginning.

I will post no item after Dec. 1, 2004 that isn't in this form.

=======

I have decided to distinguish between (pub) printed items and (web) items
posted on the internet, since quite a few people asked for this
distinction.  Their claim was they don't give as serious attention to
items not in print and only posted on the web and want to know what they
are being asked to open and read.

I actually don't share that view, but I think it is a fair request.

The primary purpose of the subject line form is to allow people to open
those items they want and not open posts they aren't as interested in.

For the rest of the month of November, I will work on the subject lines as
I have done for the past 10 years.  But, I need to shorten the process of
posting, that this procedure will do that.

=========

I would also ask that you make the very first line of body of every post
YOUR (the poster's) e-mail address.

Thanks,

Bob Corbett