23823: (pub) Esser: "Courage and Persistance" (fwd)

From: D. Esser <torx@joimail.com>

counterpunch
http://www.counterpunch.com/

November 10, 2004

"Courage and Persistance"
Letter from a Haitian Jail
By Father GERARD JEAN-JUSTE

Greetings and Gratitude! Courage and Persistence!

I can't stop thinking of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., as I am sending
you this short letter. Quoting by heart and in substance Dr. King,
allow me to remind you of this:

"It is not, if I help my brothers and sisters, what's going to happen
to me? Rather, if I don't help them, what's gong to happen to them?"

Hooded men, intimidation, masked gunmen, massacre, masked men
attacking the churches, forced entries in our rectories, arbitrary
arrests, defamation, character assasination, prison, threats of death
- SHOULD NOT STOP ANY HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVIST OR INSTITUTIONS
advocating for the enjoyment of basic human needs for all, especially
the poor ones.

I think of all of you who advocate for my release, all who demand the
release of all political prisoners, under the "de facto", illegal,
unconstitutional Latortue-Alexandre government imposed facistically
by the administration of Presidents G.W. Bush, Jacques Chirac, and
Prime Minister Paul Martin.

Freedom and democracy shall prevail in Haiti.

Visiting Haiti in 1983, Pope John Paul II called for real change:
"Things must change." LET IT BE!

The represssion on all levels is so heavy. I call for: an immediate
return to constitutional order; the release of all political
prisoners; the respect of the vote and the will of the people; the
rejection of kidnappings, coup d'etats from whoever the authors.

Let the word of God win our souls! Let love of God and humanity
prevail! Let us start our heaven on earth as God wants it!

Gratitude, Peace, and Love to you all!

Fr. Gerard Jean-Juste (Nsera Njeri Jan-Jis) 509-405-3244

[This letter was sent out of the Omega-Carrefour Jail by Fr. Gerard
Jean-Juste via Bill Quigley, Loyola University School of Law New
Orleans, one of Fr. Jean-Juste's lawyers. Fr. Jean-Juste is
represented by Mario Joseph and others with the Institute for Justice
and Democracy in Haiti. Fr. Jean-Juste is scheduled to appear before
a Haitian judge for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday November 10,
2004.
.