23884: Walker (discuss) Re: 23859: Hyppolite Pierre; Haiti as a Protectorate (fwd)

From: "John Walker [Matraco]" <jcfwalker@matraco.com>

Dear colleagues,

As always Hyppolite Pierre writes a thoughtful and reasoned post.  I agree
with Hyppolite, that Haiti should not become a UN protectorate -- but for
an additional reason, which is critical to Haiti's progress.

The UN is arguably positioning itself as the new colonial power of the
world, the single institution capable of governing so-called failed states.
In effect it has a self-interest in seeing such states proliferate, since
that creates a greater need for UN intervention.  The UN has some excellent
capabilities, especially in humanitarian work, and I salute those
responsible.  But the UN lacks core competency for building strong
economies, for promoting self-reliance and home-grown democracy.  In fact
most UN member states are anything but good examples of such states.

UN technocrats are trained not as leaders but as administrators.  They are
sincere people but tend to look down their noses at indigenous
administrators.  Yet Haiti has excellent technocrats in her ministries and
bureaus; I know because I have met them and worked with them.  These
professional men and women do not need an occupation force of UN
bureaucrats to tell them how to manage things.  How would any of us feel,
as a struggling Ministry employee, to have a UN official who can barely
spell Haïti (let alone Ayiti) telling us how to do our job?

I have also found local (commune level) and departmental officials to be of
highest calibre, both as leaders and administrators.  Enlightened leaders
do not drive white Nissan Patrols with UN markings and live at Hotel
Montana.  I cannot think of anything more demoralizing to communal leaders,
struggling so hard with so little, to have these shiny people in their
shiny cars driving around and micro-managing them.

Haiti's main problems are economic.  The Haitian people are strong,
intelligent, and capable of making good decisions about governance.  But
the terrible economic conditions they struggle with militate against sound
political choices.  Desperate people make desperate choices.  Only with
economic progress will Haiti advance politically.  UN occupation (whatever
euphemism is used) will not advance Haiti politically, and may actually do
harm.  I will honestly say as a businessman that I do not look forward to
navigating a UN maze in order to continue my work in Haiti.

Kind regards,
John Walker
www.matraco.com