23984: Durban (discuss) Thoughts on the U.N. in Haiti (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Should the U.N. have a more hands-on role in Haiti?  John Walker
(#23884) and Hyppolite Pierre (#23859) make some good points on
that subject, covered also in yesterday's Miami Herald post
(#23888).

The number of shiny new U.N. SUV's patrolling the streets of
Port-au-Prince should single-handedly boost the fortunes of
Nissan Motors this year.  Not only are traffic jams back big
time, but the arrogance of know-it-all U.N. busy-bodies, who may
themselves come from troubled countries, can be annoying.

Nevertheless, as one who has spent the better part of the last
25 years in Haiti, my sense is that an international presence is
absolutely needed... and I'm talking about one that won't be
leaving for quite a long time.

If it were wise, the Latortue government would admit that
prospects for next year's elections are looking increasingly
shaky.  Getting all of the political players in Haiti to agree
to anything is akin to herding cats, and part of the problem is
the perception that the system will inevitably be rigged by
self-interested Haitians.  With an already squabbling electoral
commission (CEP) whose head resigned in disgust a few weeks
back, it is time for some bold action.
  SUGGESTION 1    Latortue calls for the entire CEP to step
       down and brings in the U.N. to organize and run the
       2005 presidential elections, perhaps with assistance
       from some other international organizations with
       expertise in running elections (The Carter Center in
       Atlanta or George Soros' Open Society come to mind).
       Obviously not the IRI...we need less bias, not more.

Why am I less than thrilled to hear that 500 expat Haitians
gathered in Montreal over the weekend to offer advice to  Haiti?
 I'll bet many are offended, embarrassed, shocked, even angry
that Haiti Cherie is in such dire straits.  In truth, the
thought that the U.N. may be needed to run Haiti as some kind of
international trusteeship if only to avoid the necessity of
emergency interventions every decade is heart-breaking.  Yet,
when Haiti's best and brightest have been leaving Haiti for
years, what can one expect?  The people fleeing Haiti are
precisely the motivated, educated, self-starters the country
desperately needs.

Canada puts on a big weekend conference to help Haiti, yet the
French-speaking Province of Quebec is one of the worst human
poachers on the planet, positively encouraging qualified
Haitians (and only the qualified ones) to apply for landed
immigrant status at the sparkling new Canadian Embassy on
Delmas.

The perfect irony is that the U.N. itself is full of qualified
Haitian professionals, folks like Prime Minister Latortue who
chose to flee their country for a better life elsewhere.

In honesty, one cannot fault individuals for trying to better
their circumstances, but it leaves Haiti in a catch 22
situation.  The country does not have the wherewithal to make
itself an attractive place to settle, because the cream, needed
to improve conditions, is being continuously skimmed off.

For the poor souls living in Haiti with no easy exit, it's about
time that help is on the way.  The fact that it comes in the
form of competent U.N. mission with an international mandate and
no local political axes to grind ought to be seen as a blessing.
 Let's just say that they are replacing those many Haitians who
went missing to Canada, the USA, Europe, etc. over the last few
decades.

For the moment, incoming aid is going toward short term
measures:  short term employment generation, fuel subsidies,
reforming and training a new police force, etc.

  SUGGESTION 2   Longer term employment generation is needed
       and one of former President Preval's pet projects
       could be revived, namely trying to attract Haitian
       expats to spend more time in-country... ideally to
       roll up their sleeves and return, but recognising
       that even if it is not a permanent return, one cannot
       visit the country and not want to get involved.

  SUGGESTION 3   The Latortue's limited mandate should be
       used to advantage, and by that I suggest a whole
       series of very bold moves to shake things up.
        - How about making Ed'H over and then selling it
          off.
        - How about a wholesale reform of the tax system
          .... basing taxes on visible wealth (real estate)
          instead of import duties.
        - How about major pension reform... replacing ONA
          entirely with something that actually works for
          the workers rather than entrenched civil servants.
        - How about approving the international convention
          on child adoptions to put a bunch of sleazy
          Haitian orphanage operators on guard, and then
          streamline the legal process in Haiti to better
          protect children.
        - How about major investments in Haitian education,
          most especially teacher training.

Hey, lest anyone who has managed to read this far get the wrong
impression of my feelings, let me set the record straight.  It's
many flaws notwithstanding, Haiti remains a truly wonderful
country, and I have absolutely no regrets about having washed up
on these shores back in 1979.

Lance Durban