23905: Lenoir: (discuss) John Engle's article

Thomas E. Davies ThomasED@lee.k12.fl.us

I fail to see how 'voye toya' slinging mud at John Engle and Steven Werlin
contributes to any meaningful discussion of the issue?  Lenoir hasn't
addressed
any of the points in the article. Further, if these "insights" are so
apparent
to everyone, as Lenoir sarcastically says, then why is the traditional
(traditional about 100 years ago) 'banking' approach to education so
prevalent
in Haiti? I know how Americans can be paternalistic and overbearing at
times,
but come on, I see many valid insights in this article.

I think it is clear to most educators that the traditional rote education
approach is all too common in Haiti, and many other countries, as well.
This
'banking' approach does very little to empower the learner, as I think was
clearly pointed out. Equally, ownership of the learning experience remains
in
the hands of the teacher, not the student where it should be.  Reflection
Circles and Appreciative Inquiry appear to me to be valid tools to empower
the
learner and transfer ownership of the learning experience.  But apparently
you
(Lenoir) know that already.  Perhaps, you are the know-it-all.