24000: Corbett (list note) Another 1,000 posts

We arrive at another 1,000 notes posted as of this New Year's Day of
2005.

This was the LEAST BUSY 1,000 note period I have on record.  The average
was only 7 posts per day.  Of course, this also included a 21 day
shut-down period while I wss in Ireland.

I opened the mailing list in 1994 using the server company crl.com  When
the list got over 500 people crl told me I could no longer run the list on
their server.

So I switched to netcom.com    They also had a limit of 500 persons for a
mailing list, but one could have more than one list.  So I broke the list
into two parts, and soon after into three parts.  That was a royal pain
since I had to post each note three different times.

Finally, in August of 1999 Webster University got a pop server (which we
could access from home) and I moved the list to its current home,
webster.edu

When I made that move in summer 1999 I began to NUMBER the posts.  Finally
in 2002 when the numbers reached 12,262 posts, the webmaster of WEbster U
posted them all to my web page and they are there and can be searched with
a text search on the webster search engine.  You have access to that
12,262 posts and that search engine on my web page at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti-archive/maillist.html

However, that caused lots of problems and for about a week, the Webster
search just shut down and wouldn't work.  Since then I haven't been able
to get the web master to mount the rest of the notes (now another entire
12,000) to my web page.

I have no idea how many posts were posted from when the list began in
summer 1994 until I stated numbering the posts in August 1999, but many
thousand I am sure.  Those posts seem lost, though some list members have
told me they do have many of them.  However, I don't have them on my own
computer, nor, of course, on my web page.

Now, on Jan. 1st, 2005 we begin will open a new set with # 24001 coming
soon.   I plan to start saving the posts on my own computer with # 24001
and see if I can't figure how to get them to my web page on my own.

There will be a major interruptions coming again from :

March 23  to  April 23 since I am going back to Ireland, this time for a
vacation.

And a likely break again next September or October since I'm thinking very
seriously of another month long trip, this time to Turkey where I've never
been.

Just so you know what's coming......

Best wishes to you all for 2005

Bob Corbett