24087: Dailey: (Reply) Marassa, Hey Mr. Bartender! (fwd)

From: Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

Marassa noted last month that MINUSTAH does not seem to have brought about a
drug-free Haiti. Although half a dozen Lavalas bigshots are under indictment
for drug trafficking in Miami, so far I have not heard anyone claim that the
use of Haiti as a transshipment route has diminished.

The people I've talked to- who are no more reliable than anyone else- state
that during the last six months of President Aristide's reign, thanks to the
President's active cooperation, the percentage of cocaine reaching the U.S.
through Haiti dropped from a high of 15% several years ago to about 8%. All
anyone in a quasi-official position is willing to say is that since 3/04
they don't think it has gone up.

Since the country is wide open, it may be that there is no one in a position
of sufficient authority with whom to deal.

Peter Dailey