24099: Re: 24050: Kathleen (discuss) (Nekita) and CEP Haiti (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Election is the only way to change government in a
democratic country; therefore, the international
community has a duty to assist Haiti in that regard.
Haiti has organized the first free election in the
free world in the 1990’s and it could be great to
reiterate that exploit in this upcoming election.

The new electoral law has made it harder for the
common citizen to seek public office. Why not keeping
it simple? The language is deceiving. In one hand,
they want women to take part and in the other hand
they tie it with properties. We know in Haiti that
most women do not own properties.
It is not the job of the CEP to force people to group
themselves. It should come naturally in the political
field. Some people need to ally and some can win with
a landslide.  The CEP of Sabala organized the first
free election why not following something that has
indeed worked or are we about to select someone which
is going to be a huge mistake.

Haiti does not have a structure political party but we
have a bunch of political clubs where the founder or
someone with his/her blessing or his/her friends is
automatically a candidate. Anyone without belonging to
any political party shall be able to run for office.
We can use the primary to select the candidate for the
final round. In doing so, we can send the unpopular
ones home early. Some folks who cannot even win in
their block or their neighborhood or their native town
or their own region are candidate for the presidency
or Senate.

There is no need to write each year an electoral law
or if there is any addition, it shall be to make it
simpler and accessible to many.

Question: will this election solve Haiti eternal
problem? And what is the main problem of Haiti?

Haiti since its existence had two democratic
presidents: Nisage Saget and Dumarsais Estimé and
Haitians had organized one free presidential election
since its existence: the 1990 presidential election.

Joseph Alfred
P.O. BOX 1022
Douglasville, GA 30133-1022