24203: White (reply) to 24198:Kathleen(ask)Re: Agronomist DVD compatibility (fwd)

From: librisia@optonline.net

Region-free DVD players are not available in stores.  The friend of mine who has one (I've seen foreign DVDs played on hers and it works just fine), says she got it from this business:

http://www.220-electronics.com/

What you are buying here are name brand DVD players that 220 Electronics has opened up and removed the region encoding devices and software from.  That means that the manufacturer's warranty for the players is void.  I don't know if 220 Electronics gives their own warranty, but you can search around on the web site for it.

If you don't want to go to the expense of buying a new DVD player, you can also buy software for your computer's DVD that will bypass the region encoding.  My friend said you can buy this software at:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com

She said the software runs about $75 U.S..  It would be a way to view "The Agronomist" without permanently switching your DVD software to region 2 coding.

My friend has had her region-free DVD player from 220 Electronics for 2 years now and says she has absolutely no complaints.  It runs all DVDs (U.S. and England) just fine.

Krista White