24259: Wilcox: (reply) Re: 24252: Corbett -- Haitian adoptions - Looking for advice and an Attorney (fwd)

From: HopeOpportunities <hopeopportunities@chartermi.net>

Adoption problem:  We have completed all of the adoption steps more than 15
months ago.  At that time we obtained the services of one of the attorneys
listed on the American Embassy list of attorneys in PaP doing adoptions.
This person has done nothing to date, he has been very unresponsive to our
requests for status updates and we don't think or have any evidence that any
papers have been filed with the IBESA or the civil court.  So we have
decided to start over with the process in Haiti, at least for the things
that will need to be redone because we are not able to get the attorney to
release any of the legal documents.  What we need now is any advice or
recommendations of an attorney that can help us complete this process before
the end of June before our US approval expires.  If our approval expires, we
have to start all over, from the beginning, starting with a new home study,
finger prints, etc.. everything has to be redone...

If anybody out there can give any advice or knows of a reliable attorney or
other resource, that might be sensitive to our situation, we would greatly
appreciate any assistance.  We are sending a delegation to Haiti the first
week of March to meet with a new attorney and see what we can do to salvage
what has been done to date.

While we are very frustrated with the process, we are more concerned about
this young boy losing this opportunity for a new life with a loving family
here in the States... It is so sad, but not surprising, to encounter such
lack of caring, respect and any sense of responsibility in the professional
arena.  I guess this is what happens when the world of  "logic, rules,
structure and common decency" meets the world of greed and self-imposed
chaos and implosion.

Please contact me directly if you have any information that may help us.

Sincerely,
Robert Wilcox
Hope Opportunities, Inc.
hopeopportunities@chartermi.net