24295: Seitz: For Aubelin .... Issa .... and

>From Suzanne Seitz <suzanneseitz@earthlink.net>

Frankly, I too am appalled really when people call the '70's in Haiti,
"The Good Old Days".  They surely were not, as far as the country in
general goes, but then again, let's take the basics of good old PR,
and we can then understand why so many curious, real people, along
with international celebrities from every area of the arts visited a
country they would never have visited - especially on the premise that
most of this crowd were liberals, strongly disapproving of the
country's politics.

I was there.  I watched Aubelin Jolicoeur, impeccable in his tailored
white suit, crisp shirt & knotted tie,  dance over chairs, bouncing
his cane, greeting what could be any age lady, sometimes alone,
sometimes with escort.  "Helllllloooooo Darling"  He was wildly
excitng, wildly sophisticated -  wily and wild.  Above all, his mere
presence was unforgettable.  He evoked a following - some critics &
some fans, but either never forgot him.   He was part of the scene of
the moment that both embraced and represented the wonder of the
country's unique creativity.  Did this alone not help something or
someone?  It surely did.

Aubie lived for the moment.  He knew how to work a crowd, and get a
reaction (good or bad) clamouring and obviously "performing" for the
attention the act always received.   He was a natural. He was cool.
So was Issa.  So was my husband, Al Seitz.  They are all gone, and so
is that era.   And so is that illustrious crowd who visited Haiti to
enjoy an extraordinary country of beauty.  Sad.

In my travels since leaving Haiti, people always, always asked about
Jolicoeur when we chatted about Haiti today.  It was a comfort to say
he was still there.  Of course he is still there.  Every now & again
we watch "The Comedians" so we will always see him whispering secrets
to the illusive Mr. Brown.  Roscoe Lee Browne, the fine actor who
played the light footed Petit Pierre in this movie, told me he enjoyed
this role more than any other.  "He is a wonderful, wonderful
character", Browne claims.

So - let's remember and cherish Aubelin Jolicoeur for what he was -- a
wonderful, wonderful, and truly unforgettable character.

I know I will - always remember.   Thank you for this, Aubie.
from Sue Seitz        suzanneseitz@earthlink.net