24310: Paryski (comment) Issa dies

>From Paul Paryski   pparyski@aol.com   ......

All who knew Issa mourn our loss. Issa was not only the icon of Haitian art and
perhaps the first "roots" Haitian musician, but a renaissance
Haitian, known and appreciated in many countries, sophisticated, charming,
cultured and yet always deeply connected to the strong, emotive, deep rhythms,
songs and humour of his beloved Haiti cheri.  He was one of the now
disappearing generation of "anciens haitiens"., the best of Haiti.
In his galerie over delicious, thick Haitian coffee or lunch, he held court,
leading discussions about music, art and, of course, politics.  No one who
visited Issa left without receiving something- a a joke, sympathy, help solving
a problem, knowledge about Haiti and its art and music or politics, if not a
wonderful painting or iron sculpture.

Issa was a Haitian saint.  He helped hundreds in need whether they were
artists,
people from his neighborhood or just friends.  His generosity was legend, as
large as his warm heart.  His contribution to Haitian art and music was
enormous.

For me, a blan, Issa was more than a lifelong friend.  He was a brother, an
uncle.  I met Issa in London during the swinging 60s where he was promoting and
selling Haitian art and visiting his tailor to get one of his spiffy suits.  We
became instant friends and laughed and shared joy and grief together during my
long stay in Haiti.  He taught me not only about Haiti but about myself.

When I left Haiti in 2000, heartbroken to leave a country I love and
heartbroken
to see it still descending into violence, chaos and misery, I always thought I
would see Issa again.  I didn't.  My loss and Haiti's loss.

Paul Paryski
Santa Fe, New Mexico