24513: Kathleen (observations from cybercafe in Hinche) RE: 24499: RE: 24495: Nealy (reply to) Fuller: comments on Griffinreport (fwd)

Well, all, I seem to have hit the Law and Order computer-literate cafe of
the universe!!!!  So far, as well as the usual cafe users, I have shared
the internet with 1) HUGE guy from Canada with Ghana stripes on his uniform
(white U.N. truck parked outside) but with police badges, as do the three
other guys from Senegal who are using or were using the net.  Only one
remains now.
I arrived on the edge March 1 (the flight before mine from Boston was
cancelled due to the snow) to a very friendly airport in Port au Prince -
attendants who refused tips, great guy who waited with me for my ride to
come, shooing away all the taxi drivers who insisted that I must have been
abandoned, like left luggage -  many white visitors on the plane, several
of which seemed to be attached to one of the lesser known (by me)
hospitals.  When my friends came (god, it was wonderful to see them), I
learned that the bedroom I usually occupy in Petionville was taken by a
(very pleasant young) Brazillian journalist, and so I was transported to an
equally friendly abode in Delmas, where I spent three days and started in
on the bronchial infection (caught on the plane, no doubt) that kept me low
until today.  (I just spoke with one of the U.N. guys from Senegal - among
other things, he seems to think that Wesley Clark will help the Haiti
mission).
March is the last month of the dry season; this year is the driest for many
years.  In the convoy coming up from PauP to Papay, we were driving in an
30sOklahoma dustbowl scenario scenario most of the time.
I loved seeing the children again - they smell of crisp clothes and soap,
and their innocence shines.
My cat is pregnant again, the sl...ave to nature.
There's a mixture of news - some dire, some scary, some hopeful.
Three guys from EDH came to fix my electricity (omigod, food that will
keep!  batteries that will be spared!!!) and then gave me a ride to the
cafe.  One has to, with EDH and Teleco, get beyond the guy with the tie and
have the honest technicians.  I gave up on having a phone three years ago,
I was so po'ed, but EDH attempted to outdo them (imagine!!!) in fraud.  My
regal, gentlemanly neighbor, Simeon, went to EDH to inquire why he was
getting electricity every night when I had it only one night.  For a reply,
the (expletive deleted) presented him with a printed bill, which he gave to
me, stating that I owed 18,976.5 gourdes since June 03.
Well,not only was I not there in 03, but neither was electricity.  There
has been a total blackout for the past two years, with the exception of a
few hours each Dec. 8.
Now, this bill scared me, with Haiti's prison system.  I feared they would
lock me up for not paying this false bill.  TiBoss laughed and said that
no, even the judges knew there was a blackout.  Judges!!!!  He mentioned
Judges.  Quickly, I took the gds I had to last me 3 months and divided half
among my three houseand helpmates.  Just in case.
AH, but I reckoned without the majesty of Mr. Simeon, who bicycled down,
panama firmly set, and approached the Man With A Tie again.
"Msieu," he told him in Kreyol, "When I go to a restaurant and order a
meal, if I never get that meal, I do not pay the check.  What are you
trying to do to "our" blan?"  He's pushing 80, but nothing scares him, the
hero!!!  So, that was the end of that sorry attempt to polish his pockets,
and it looks like there will be light tonight!!!
I also met the new brothers at the seminary above me - I'll miss Fre Lama,
whom I saw in Delmas, but the new guys seem equally sweet.
I'll close for now - I've learned how to access my home account from here,
but am using kathleenburke704@hotmail.com as well!!!!  Glad Bob is taking
the bus in Eire, appreciate those List postings I've read so far.  Aibobo,
everyone!!! Kathleen