24555: Leiderman (comment) re: 24551: Senou - Savannah Monument Project

Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

dear Readers:

I'm glad to see a new announcement about the Savannah Monument project.
indeed, the free Haitian soldiers who help American Independence deserve
a monument for their troubles and their lives.

however, the website describing the project is partly out of date and
partly inconsistent.  in one place, it says that $1 million is required;
in another place, it says that $1.5 million dollars is required.  and
still, I did not find a financial progress report describing how much
money has been raised and how it has been spent, how much more money
needs to be collected and how future funds will be spent.

this project is big business, but important information is not posted
and the committee has never answered my requests for a financial report.

I believe the project committee can fulfill its purpose of erecting a
monument in Savannah, Georgia if it makes a commitment to transparency in
fundraising and reporting about the project.  this is a relatively easy
task.  I would like to see all books and records -- money collected and
money spent -- available for examination and posted on the website.  when
that happens, I will be happy to consider a contribution and encourage
others to contribute.  let's complete the Savannah Monument Project this
year.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman