24600: Burke (comment) Growing vegetables and fruits in the plateau

kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com>

Although the rains have not started, at the MPP Sant peppers are already turning from green to red, and the varieties of growing things thrill. An American agronomist works with Haitians to improve the soil and seeds. It's wonderful to stop by here and see what is possible.

Yesterday, I let the news get to me, so I got my bounda out of bed shortly after 6 a.m. and walked the mile or two to the Sant -- no sweat, because so early, it is no sweat literally. Today, I caught a ride (couldn't give up my morning Haitian coffee and confiture two days in a row).

My message yesterday vanished in cyberspace when the electricity failed - I had written of the curious juxtapositon of ads for Porsche ("They said Haiti was too.[........... whatever], but the Porsche 4x4 is here!!!) with serious carjacking stories on the radio. One man, who sounded so easy to identify with, soberly asked why, with so many police and MINISTAH around, was he told that neither of them had the weapons necessary to enter Cité Soleil to repossess his new car. Another, a prominent woman connected, I think, to the Election Commission, lamented that she was robbed by very young men she knew, living not three minutes from her house (in Delmas.) Then, in the same broadcasts, announcement of formation of a committee of young people whose mission it is to clean up Cité Soleil so it can become (I'm quoting here) "a tourist spot again." Personally, I always objected to the people leading tours through that area in the mid- to late 90s - it smacked of going to the zoo to me, and I did not blame the inhabitants who objected.

I fear my luck with electricity may be running out - it has at my house!!!!! Kathleen Burke