24634: Nekita (comment) Remembering the Pope John Paul II

Nlbo@aol.com

I was in Rome five years ago as a jubilee volunteer and got to be close to the pope mobile at St. Peterâs square and the altar while the 263rd pontiff presided over Holy week liturgies. I also got to see him inside St. Peter's basilica with thousands of priests during chrism mass of 2000 and for Way of the Cross at the Colosseum as well. In other words I was very close to the pope for all the Holy week events at the turn of the millennium. I was in Rome the week before and after Easter. Holy week liturgies with the Pope and a mass at Waikiki beach in Hawaii with the Hula dancers and all the Hawaiian cultural rituals and ornaments and everything else that goes on in a beach in Honolulu while mass is being held are two liturgies that will always remain "glued" in my mind. Critics in the Haitian churches complain that I donât go to their masses. My dear friends, if you get to assist masses with the pope at St. Peterâs be it in the square or in the basilica, you wouldnât want to go to any other churches. If you go, you try to look for something closer to that liturgy.

The pope looked very frail five years ago. I thought I was going to hear him die the minute I got back to the States. People who saw him ten years ago said the same thing.

But regardless of issues that one may have with the Catholic church, whether you are religious or not, you agree with all the Catholic dogmas or not, the 263rd pope of the Catholic institution is going to be remembered very differently from Pope John XXIII who initiated changes in the Church such as masses in the vernacular. Pope John Paul II canonized 482 saints, selected 232 cardinals, many from Third World countries. He was the first non-Italian pope since 1522 and the most traveled pontiff in the history of papacy.

Rest in Peace Pope John Paul II
Nekita