24659: VISHNUSURF (comment) re: 24656: jolierosey re: 24633: Fleury re: 24622: VISHNUSURF/ Ezili ...

VISHNUSURF@aol.com

I did not realize that some people considered this list to be "academic" and therefore never thought that anyone expected citations of schoarly works to back up points made in this increasingly-more-often-than-not propagandist arena. And while I will not apologize for jolierosey's being "perturbed" by my note that the thesis about the Egyptian roots of Vodou is tenuous, and though I ceratinly do not have the time to produce a bibliography for her/him in this regard (anyone with /genuine/ interest in objectivity could surely do so on her or his own in half a day), I can suggest one source for consideration, which is more concerned with Afrocentricity's claims that the Greeks stole all of their ideas from Kemet than with Diop's equally dubious claims about Egyptian influences on West African culture, which people have picked up to argue for the Egyptian roots of Vodou, which is in fact a MODERN WESTERN RELIGION, however much of its mythology that it derives from West and Central Africa:

Mary Lefkowitz, _Not Out of Africa: How Afrocentrism Became an Excuse to Teach Myth as History_ (Basic Books, 1997).