24668: Hermantin (news) Haitian elections are on track for '05

leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haitian elections are on track for '05
Roger F. Noriega
Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs Washington, D.C.

April 5, 2005

The March 29 editorial suggesting that the United States is considering delaying elections in Haiti is incorrect ("Why drag feet on elections?").

Elections in Haiti will take place in October and November of this year. The United States, the United Nations, the Organization of American States and Haiti's other international friends are working with the interim government to ensure that the forthcoming elections are stable and reflective of both the rule of law and the democratic process now under way. We have already provided $8.7 million for Haitian voter registration programs, and we will spend $14 million on election-related activities in Haiti this year.

Criminality and politically instigated violence are a continuing source of concern in Haiti. In the face of these challenges, U.N. peacekeeping troops and civilian police advisers are working under exceptionally difficult conditions to restore security and create the stability that elections require. They are working to reverse the national police's legacy of corruption and brutality, through training, leadership and example.

Though much work needs to be done, there is reason to be optimistic about Haiti's future. Elections are a critical step on Haiti's path to democratic reform. The Haitian people deserve a government that reflects their desire for stability, security and a decent standard of living. We will work with them to help Haiti achieve this goal.