25860: Hermantin(News)Haitian radio host defends comments that may have landed Jean-Jus (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haitian radio host defends comments that may have landed Jean-Juste in prison

By Alva James-Johnson
Staff Writer

July 27, 2005

Karyne Sylvestre doesn't regret making radio comments that may have landed a priest in Haiti's National Penetentiary last week.

The host of Radio Madoken, a Haitian program on Radio Mega 1020 AM, said she received credible information from someone who said that the Rev. Gérard Jean-Juste, a longtime Haitian activist and staunch supporter of former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, was planning terrorist attacks against the Caribbean country. So she informed the public.

"I didn't harm any person. I don't have the right to do so," she said. "This was information to the Haitian people to protect democracy."

Ira Kurzban, Jean-Juste's attorney in Miami, has threatened to file a defamation lawsuit against Sylvestre and Radio Mega's owner, Alex Saint Surin, if the July 14 comments aren't retracted.

Sylvestre said she won't retract, and Saint Surin's attorney, Kertch Conze, said the station isn't liable. He said Sylvestre, who leases time on the radio station, is an independent contractor and her comments followed a disclaimer that was broadcast releasing the station of liability.

As Sylvestre defended her actions Tuesday, Jean-Juste's supporters gathered at the Haitian consulate in Miami to protest his arrest. They carried photos of malnourished children, and called for the U.S. government to help stop injustice they say is rampant in their country.

"They keep the assassins free and the good people like Jean-Juste are put in jail," said Eve Rose, who moved to Miami from Haiti 15 years ago.

Sylvestre, meanwhile, said she and her family had received threats from Aristide supporters on radio stations and Web sites in New York, New Jersey and Florida.

"They said I'm carrying my coffin to be buried," she said. "My kids are very scared about that."

Sylvestre made the allegations against Jean-Juste July 14, saying he was in Miami to collect an undisclosed amount of money from Aristide, who is now exiled in South Africa. She told her audience that the priest planned to use the money to recruit mercenaries for terrorist attacks to begin by July 17.

She said she received the tip from a credible source the night before, but couldn't reveal where she got the information.

U.S. Customs agents detained and searched the priest when he arrived at Miami International Airport a day later. His attorneys said the search was based on allegations similar to those made by Sylvestre.

Bill Quigley, Jean-Juste's attorney in Haiti, said the agents found nothing more than a Bible, some rosaries and his clothes.

In Haiti, he appeared before a Haitian judge on charges that he plotted against the security of the state. After his release, he was arrested when he attended a funeral where mourners attacked him and accused him of murdering Haitian journalist Jacques Roche.

Jean-Juste, now a resident of Haiti, is the former director of the Haitian Refugee Center in Miami. In October, he was arrested by the interim government and spent seven weeks in jail.

Within the past year, he has emerged as the spokesman for Aristide's Fanmi Lavalas party, vowing that the party would boycott upcoming elections unless Aristide is returned to office.

But on Monday, the party seemed divided over the issue.

Louis Gérald Gilles, a former Lavalas senator in Haiti, said party members were in talks with Aristide to make a public statement calling for participation the elections.

"We have the obligation to join the elections and to win them," Gilles said at a meeting of political parties organized in Port-au-Prince by the Haiti's interim government and the United Nations.

Staff Writer Ginelle G. Torres and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Alva James-Johnson can be reached at ajjohnson@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4523.