25892: Severe: (post) Miami Herald Article on Haitian Radio DJ (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

This DJ is tuned to different vibe

BY CARA BUCKLEY

cbuckley@herald.com

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - The 'Haitian Hillbilly' floods the troubled nation's airwaves with the unlikeliest of sounds.

His brow slick with sweat, his breath laced with the previous night's excess, the disc jockey leaned toward the microphone and let loose an ungodly squawk.

''Ha-looooo! It's the Haitian Hillbilly coming at you for the Haitian! Hillbilly! Happy! Hour!'' Alain Maximilien crowed in a wobbly Southern twang, delivering each word like a verbal punch. ``Keep it locked, Port-au-Prince, we've got a classic here.''

As Port-au-Prince's scraggly rush hour slunk by outside, Maximilien launched his assault on Haiti's airwaves. He played The Clash. He played Johnny Cash. He played the theme song from The Dating Game, all the while chain-smoking Marlboro Reds and jerking his elbows in what might best be described as a Pee Wee Herman-inspired dance.

Maximilien, aka the ''Haitian Hillbilly,'' is an unlikely newcomer to Haitian radio, which is saturated by traditional Compas and Zouk music along with what are arguably the dregs of commercial American pop. His radio show, on 90.1 Radio One, features a schizophrenic blend of country music, punk rock and rockabilly, liberally spiced with Louie Prima, Bobby Darin, mariachi and, oftentimes, sarcasm.

MISFIT MUSIC

Maximilien plays the music he loves, and its selection is partly fueled by defiance. He spent half his childhood in Port-au-Prince, but always felt like a misfit among his fellow, privileged classmates. With this show, he not only has carved himself a niche, but he fulfilled a heartfelt belief: that punk rock -- all rock -- has a place in this troubled land.

''Haitian society is very conservative, and I was considered eccentric. It sucks to be here and feel like you have to be like everybody else all the time,'' said Maximilien, 32. ``That's part of what I'm doing. This country is so difficult to live in -- try to be yourself and not worry what everybody thinks.''

If Maximilien is an unlikely Haitian radio host, he is also an unlikely Haitian. Light-skinned and blue-eyed, he speaks in an airtight American accent and delivers his show in English. Factor in his trucker hat, grimy shorts and mirrored aviator sunglasses, and he looks more the denizen of a dive bar than of a perilous, impoverished city.

But Maximilien is Haitian, at least half of him is anyway. He was born in New York City to an Irish American mother from Pittsburgh and a biracial Haitian father. His father ran a Haitian garment manufacturing business, and Maximilien divided his earliest years between Manhattan and Port-au-Prince. He lived full time in Haiti from the sixth grade through the end of high school, but with his pierced ear and skateboard -- he built his first half-pipe in his parents' driveway in Port-au-Prince -- he never really fit in. He still doesn't.

''I feel very American when I'm here and very Haitian when I'm in the U.S.,'' Maximilien said. ``I was always very different.''

Still, for all his post-adolescent wanderings and repeated attempts to find his way in the United States, Maximilien always found himself back in Haiti, through tragedy, folly or chance.

FAMILY TROUBLES

In the early 1990s, he enrolled in Babson College outside Boston, but his lackluster tenure was cut short by news from Port-au-Prince: His father, Leslie Maximilien, had run in the presidential elections, lost to Jean-Bertrand Aristide, been imprisoned and, through trickery, escaped. Maximilien dropped out to help his father rekindle the family business in the Dominican Republic. He stayed three years before heading back to the United States.

Next he drifted between Pittsburgh and Miami, painting houses, working in bars and cultivating a solid drinking habit.

''Drinking's like a muscle. You've got to keep it in shape,'' he said.

He had the word ''denial'' tattooed along the webbing between the thumb and forefinger of his right hand -- his drinking hand. This was a little note to self, a permanent reminder that alcohol should be consumed to enhance life rather than to escape its problems.

Haiti beckoned again. During a 1997 Christmas trip to Port-au-Prince, Maximilien met a former Playboy playmate, of all people, named Susan Krabacher, who ran a Haitian charity with her husband. Intrigued by both the ex-centerfold and her cause, Maximilien helped run their orphanage for a year. He went back to bouncing between Pittsburgh and Miami, but never quite landed. Finally, during a visit to Port-au-Prince early this year, a radio producer happened to overhear Maximilien sounding off in a bar and offered him an on-air job. The pay was minimal, but Maximilien could play or say whatever he wanted. Maximilien decided instantly he would play the music he yearned for growing up and called himself the Haitian Hillbilly, for kicks.

It is uncertain what Haitians exactly make of the Haitian Hillbilly, or how many tune in to his late-afternoon broadcasts.

IRREVERENCE IMPRESSES

The show recently moved to Radio One, which has national reach, and Maximilien guesses his audience is largely made up of the English-speaking children of United Nations employees and stationed U.S. Marines. The station owners, two well-to-do men in their 30s, tapped Maximilien because they were impressed by his irreverence and the unvarnished, deadpan monologue he sometimes lapses into between songs.

''A lot of people hate his music, but they can't wait to hear what he's going to say next,'' said a fellow disc jockey, Michael Moscosco, known also as DJ Di.

During any given broadcast, Maximilien might sound off on traffic congestion (''How does a country that supposedly has 80-percent unemployment have a rush hour?'' he once asked) or wryly allude to drug dealers' penchant for pricey trucks or reminisce about past loves (``This is the kind of song I used to make out to with Italian chicks.'')

Life in Haiti, though, is worsening, and barely a week passes without one of Maximilien's friends or acquaintances getting kidnapped or hurt. But Maximilien is unlikely to leave soon. His father, who now runs an orphanage, loves having his son close by and helps pay his way.

Maximilien was also recently wedded, though his marriage remains a touchy issue.

The girl, a Dominican, is far younger than he is, too young, as it turned out. Indeed, Maximilien, the unlikely hillbilly, turned out to have more Jerry Lee Lewis in him than he ever thought.

Yet Maximilien said even this misstep forced him to finally slow down. With this show, he's found a sense of purpose, even if it's in a country that only half feels like home.

''Every time I think I get it out of my system, I come back,'' he said.