25942: Review (from 1927) of Emily Balch (editor) book OCCUPIED HAITI

From Bob Corbett:

There are some delightful unexpected things that happen when one gets
a new box of books!!!!  Today's post brought a bunch of Haiti books I had
purchased, a couple for my collection, but most to put on my "for sale"
list.  However, I normally check the duplicates against my own copy to be
sure I have the nicest copy in my collection.

Today one of those books was Blair Niles's:  BLACK HAITI.  In my own
notes in my library copy I say this about the book:

Written in 1925 during the Occupation.  Sort of a touristy book, but well
written and sympathetic to Haitians, opposed to both the Occupation and Monroe
Doctrine in The Americas.  Niles is a world traveller
who knows how to get around.  Sensitive and observative.

In any case, I went in to check it against my copy, and while this copy is
quite nice, the one on my shelf was even nicer.  Then I noticed in this
copy I'd just received, a newspaper story pasted to the inside front cover
and facing page.  I tried scanning it, and happily it came out quite well.

This article was a critical yet sympathetic review of Emily Balch's
(editor) book OCCUPIED HAITI.  I have posted this review to my web page.

I think what the reviewer says about the Balch book is amazingly similar
to some of the very issues we have on the list about Haiti today.  In some
important sense not much has changed in nearly 80 years.

See the review at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/occupation/balch-review.html

In case any are interested, I have only one copy of the Balch book for
sale, and alas and alack it is FRIGHTFULLY expensive.  But I do have two
copies of the Blair Niles book which are much more reasonable, and the
one has this review above pasted inside the front cover.

See:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/library/forsale.htm