26049: Vedrine : A call for action to save Haiti (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

A call for action to save Haiti
[August 22, 2005
YVONNE ABRAHAM'S article about the Haitian community in Boston who came together to reflect and pray on the wave of abductions in their homeland deserves attention (''From lawless homeland, demand for ransom," City & Region, Aug. 15). However, will this recent prayer gathering result in long-term positive changes in the Boston area that could affect Haiti's politics? Though Haitian immigrants are in their third generation, and numerous individual attainments can be observed, the Boston Haitian community remains fragmented and civically uninvolved. The educational achievement of Haitian students has deteriorated over the past decade, while the number of young Haitians adversely involved in the justice system has increased. I hope that prayer day had a ''call for action" agenda. The Creator will guide Haitians through our actions in addressing these pressing local issues, but might not respond to our perfunctory invocations, as our 201-year-old saga has proven. Hence, the newly arrived Haitian priests, a disengaged Haitian Catholic laity, Evangelical/Pentecostal adherents, and service providers will need to enter a dialogue with established professionals to prayerfully engage three generations of Haitians in this 21st century knowledge-based Western society.
NEKITA LAMOUR © Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.]