26074: SCHWARTZ/ P. Bellegarde-Smith's Two New Books! (fwd)

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

Monday, September 12th, 2005
7:00 PM

SCHWARTZ BOOKS
2559 N. Downer Avenue

will have a book-signing party

for my two most recent books:

	HAITI: THE BREACHED CITADEL (Toronto: CSPI, 2004) $29.95

Edwidge Danticat: "[The work] is one of the smartest, most thorough and
most lyrical books ever written about Haiti."

Gerald Horne: "The author is well-known as one of the leading Haitian
intellectuals of his generation... If I had to recommend one book to
explain the history and the reality of Haiti, this would be it."

Noam Chomsky: "It brilliantly illuminates the rich tapestry of Haitian
culture, and reveals the remarkable resilience of the Haitian people....
[T]here is no better starting point than this learned and penetrating
inquiry."

AND:

	FRAGMENTS OF BONE: NEO-AFRICAN RELIGIONS IN A NEW WORLD (Urbana:
University of Illinois Press, 2005) $20.00

Karen McCarthy Brown: "[His] collection of essays on religion that
developed out of the experience of chattel slavery and colonialism takes
the reader to a deeper and broader understanding of Afro-Caribbean
traditions than we have had before... The cumulative effect of this
unusual collection moves religions such as Vodou, Santeria, Palo, and
candomble out of the realm of the exotic and into the merited position
among progressive religious alternatives in the contemporary world."